May 26, 2011

Half marathon run

So yes, it's been over a month since I've blogged. But that doesn't mean that I haven't been running. In fact in the weeks leading up to the half marathon (it was this last weekend) I was totally pushing the miles. 

But this post is focusing on the half marathon run. So that's what I'm going to to blog about. :) The half marathon (13.1 miles) took place in my home town, had no official time-it was all about personal goals. I did take my Garmin with me on my run, and kept time that way. Turns out, I shaved a whole half hour off from last year. Last year I walked it-just goes to show you what you can do when you put your mind to something.

Day before the half, I took off from work. I'm so happy I did. It enabled me to make sure I got plenty of sleep, eat what I needed to eat, and take care of myself. One of the things that I tell people (please remember I"m not a Doctor or a nutritionist) is that the week of a half-marathon or competitive long run is to take it easy that entire week. Watch your runs-slow 'em down, don't push too hard, watch alcohol consumption, increase water intake, increase protein intake, watch what you eat. Balance is  truly key. It would be horrible to do all the training, and the week of get all out of whack cause you decided to do something different that didn't work well with your body.  Week of a big event is not the time to try something new. Especially day of. Wear the stuff you train in, and don't forget to fuel with the same stuff you use on your runs. 

Of course, we have all the best intentions, and I know personally for me, my week leading up to the half could have been much better food-wise, and alcohol/water wise. As well as sleep wise. But it happens, and we have to roll with our choices. 

Anyway,  so day  before. I did something different, and I think it worked for me. I know totally blowing the rules right? I focused not on my carbohydrate intake, but I focused on protein, and water intake. Generally speaking, you do want a balance, but I really pushed the protein intake. I think it helped. I had Pad Thai for lunch, and for dinner, I cooked a new meal-totally blowing the rules right? I had also gone to REI, and got a couple of protein bars-and had 2 of them on Friday. The dinner I had turned out fabulous, and very well balanced. I had made homemade Chicken Parmesan-and it turned out fab. So I got the protein from the chicken, carbs from the pasta, and well, whatever amino acid goodness that my homemade tomato pasta sauce had in it. 

Day of, woke up bright eyed and nervous-just as we all are before something big happens. Got my pretty temporary tattoo, and posed for a few photos before the countdown. When it was time, I placed myself middle of the pack, and took off. I completely sprang off that starting line-just what you want. :) Body was itching to run! 

Since I had never run a half before, I really wondered about pacing. Do I go all out, and run the risk of burning out? Or do I start slow, and end fast? And how do I do this? Well I decided I would try to pace best I can, and go from there. I wound up running at my "fast" pace (about 12:30) occasionally dipping down further. I pulled myself back from that in the beginning but as time went on, I just went how my body felt.  I think that worked well for me until about mile 10, then I started to slow down. 

The way the half was set up so the everyone (walkers, run/walkers, and runners) would finish all about the same time. About mile 7, I realized that I was running amongst the walkers. It was a total surprise to me-I totally wasn't expecting to run into them at all. The walkers had started a full half hour before hand, and I figured that I probably wouldn't see them at all during the race. Well I was totally wrong-I patted my buddies on the back as I passed 'em, and high fived the others. Talk about an extra boost to the self esteem! I used to be among the walkers last year, and it put in perspective exactly how much better I was doing comparatively from the year before. 
At mile 10, I just started to drag. I can't explain as to why, it wasn't asthma related. I dealt with my asthma about mile 8, and so I knew it wasn't that. Body was just getting tired, and couldn't get up and moving. However, my girlfriend placed herself around that area, and the cheering view of her inspired me. It inspired me to keep moving, and to finish the thing. 

As I came around the corner to mile 12, and saw the mile marker, I wanted to burst into tears. It was a powerful great sight to see that I only had a mile to go. I thought to myself; how many times during the week have I run 5/3 miles? And I can certainly kick ass in this last mile. 

And I did. I finished with the cheers of my friends, and family. It was a spectacular moment in my mind.  Total time: 2 hours, 45 minutes. Last year walking, 3 hours 15 minutes.

I'll get back to running tonight. I did a little bit on the bike the other day, and my ankle has been bothering me, so I've laid off quite a bit.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment